Sunday 3 April 2011

Killing Bono


The Synopsis
This film follows the story of two brothers, Neil McCormack (Ben Barnes) and Ivan McCormack (Robert Sheehan), who went to school with U2's Bono and had the same dreams of forming a famous band as he did. However the journey wasn't as smooth for them as it was for Bono and they soon struggle under the strain of constant bad decisions and the overwhelming shadow of their former friend.

The Review
Well this was a first. Never before in my life have I ever gone into a movie that I hadn't even seen a poster for. Sunday afternoon I found myself waiting in the queue and scanning the screen to see which films were starting. The only one that seemed to be available was the mysterious film "Killing Bono" so I thought... hmmm why not?

I must admit I was a little concerned, especially as the title sounded a bit dubious and I had NO CLUE what it was about, but all in all I was pleasantly surprised and here's why.

The opening credits come up and immediately I spot Robert Sheehan's name. Being a complete and utter HUMUNGOUS fan of the amazing Channel 4 drama 'Misifts' I perk up straight away and figure, well even if the film is rubbish at least I'll have his stupidly sparkly eyes to look into (I'm not kidding, they LITERALLY sparkle).

Then Ben Barnes appears in a car talking in an Irish accent and I thought to myself, "Well you might as well give the film a chance."

Once the perving stopped and the plot began to progress I actually started to watch the film and it was smart, funny and very well put together. It's based on a book that as far as I can tell is the true story of Neil McCormack, the lead singer of a small time Irish band called Shook Up. He was friends with Bono at school but due to Neil's constant inclincation to make stupid decisions and pass down amazing opportunities, they never reached anywhere near their potential.

Robert Sheehan and Ben Barnes both give very funny and genuine performances of two brothers who struggle to keep their bond together through all of Neil's shortcomings.

I love Irish humour and I loved this. The writing was just right and the film made me chuckle. It took me a while to get into the swing of what the film was trying to say but I blame my complete lack of knowledge about the film prior to seeing it for that one.

It was refreshing to see a genuinely unique and good film again after the dry spell of late and it is with great happiness and pride I dust off my four faces and present them for all to see.

I'll have to go in blind to films more often.

4 comments:

Crazylegs said...

Nice review! I, too, am a HUGE 'Misfits' fan and would see this film just based on that! Now I have to look for Killing Bono here in Canuckistan.

Plumsauce10 said...

You guys have Misfits in Canada as well?? That is AWESOME! I'm surprised as there aren't that many people in this country who watch it. It appears to have quite a cult following. Killing Bono is very good, definitely go and see it if you can!

Crazylegs said...

Yes, Misfits has a bit of a cult following here. I think it's brilliant stuff - as do my geek friends. We do a podcast here (we have a small fanbase but prefer the term 'cult indie') and we chat up Misfits whenever we get the chance.

Plumsauce10 said...

I've just found out Robert Sheehan isn't going back to misfits for season 3. Sorry to break the bad news to you.