Saturday 26 March 2011

Chalet Girl



The Synopsis
Kim (Felicity Jones) is a child prodigy when it comes to skateboarding. However, when her mother dies in a car accident she gives it all up to support her scatty father (Bill Bailey). When money gets hard she takes a job in a Ski Chalet in Austria where she rediscovers her skateboarding love via Snowboarding and falls for the owner of the Chalet Jonny (Ed Westwick).

The Review
Okay this is a film where the advertising for it is completely different to what it actually is. The way the poster, trailer and all round build up for this film talks, I walked into this movie fully expecting some kind of Hannah Montana/Hilary Duff type rom com, designed specifically for young girls who still giggle slightly when a boy looks at them. What I actually got though was bizarre, because although during some points it had that Hannah Montana feel to it, it would then suddenly throw in a pocket of nudity or swearing before going back to jolly happy cheesy land.

It surprised me how much I liked it but due to the unsure feel of the movie I did spend the majority of it confused. The largest point of this particular confusion in the movie was when our main couple had gone from giggling in the snow and flirting subtly with each other to a full blown sex scene. I had not been prepared for that! I was happy in the little innocent U rated relationship they had been building and fully expecting this to be another 'High School Musical' romance where they only kiss and then gaze sweetly into each other's eyes. But then bam! They changed the tone and age of the movie again .

My biggest "wow, that impressed me" nod has to go to Bill Bailey though. Now I love this man, I think he's a very funny comedian and awesome musician but when it came to his acting career I always came away from watching it thinking "well, at least he tried." But in this role he was actually pretty good! And it was a tough roll to play for him as well, given that it was more serious than most things he's ever done but he actually managed to pull it off! I mean, it wasn't Oscar worthy or anything but it really was miles better than anything else I've ever seen him act in.

Ed Westwick played a rich man, which anyone who watches Gossip Girl would know he does exceptionally well and Bill Nighy (who played his father) was his usual amusing self throughout.

It was overall fun. Not one to be taken seriously and there is a large possibility that if you do choose to see it (especially on weekends) you may have to share the viewing experience with a room full of teenage girls. But I didn't hate the experience. NB not one to watch if you fancy anything that may be intellectually stimulating.

Three faces for this one.

No comments: