Sunday 6 March 2011

Tangled



The Synopsis
Rapunzel (voice: Mandy Moore)is a princess who is stolen from her bed as a baby by the evil Mother Gothel (voice: Donna Murphy) so that the magic in Rapunzel's hair can be used to keep her young and beautiful forever. For her whole childhood she is locked in a tower and hidden away from her true identity. On her 18th Birthday Flynn Rider (voice: Zachary Levi) accidentally finds her and takes her away to see the world outside.

The Review
Aaaah, this was nice. This was pure Disney at it's very best. The loveable 'bad boy' hero, the sassy princess, the evil witch and of course the funny animal side kicks (This time a Chameleon and a horse).

It was funny and very well animated. My particular favourite was Max the horse. He, I feel, had the biggest personal journey to go through in the movie. His outlook on life was shaken, his true emotions began to crack on the surface of his white coat and he was forced to make a particularly important decision that would cause him to truly examine the horse within. All this done and with not a word muttered. Such is the genius of Disney. Hoorah to Disney.

The songs were mixed I felt. There were two I liked but the others didn't seem to be singable which I assumed would be essential for a Disney movie as my fondest memories as a child was twirling around singing Pocahontas's 'Just around the riverbend' and Ariel's 'Part of your world' at the top of my lungs. Having said all that I have only heard them once and they might grow on me after a couple more listens. I hope so as it is Alan Menkin who composed them and he was the genius that brought us The Hunchback of Notre Dame soundtrack which we all know simply can't be faulted (Takes a moment to sing 'God save the Outcasts' to the neighbours).

Flynn Rider fits in well with all the Disney animated heros that went before him. There is only one question I ask in order to determine whether the man fits the bill of the hero of the Disney animation and that is, 'Do they leave me confused as once again I find myself strangely attracted to an animation?' The answer is yes. Yes he did. And now I will have to book another appointment with my therapist and have that discussion again...

All in all, the film was Disney to a T and I can sleep happy tonight in the knowledge that they haven't lost the ability to create a classic fairy tale film just like they used to in the glory days of Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast. Four faces from me.

No comments: