Saturday 26 March 2011

Limitless



The Synopsis
Eddie Morra (Bradley Cooper) is a struggling writer who can't seem to get his life together until one day he is offered a small clear pill that takes him from using 10% of his brain to 100%.

The review
Okay, let me get it out of the way first. How freaking blue are Bradley Cooper's eyes? Seriously, he and Daniel Craig should do a film together. They don't need to do anything, just sit there and stare into the distance. I'd definitely go and see that.

But back to this film. It was interesting and a concept that I can imagine being a reality in another 50-100 years or so. This idea that there is a pill that unlocks all of that untapped percentage of your brain. It's intriguing.

The story was told well, although I did start to get annoyed with the persistent commentary Eddie made over the top of the film and I'm not totally sure I get the ending. I may have to watch it again to fully understand it. Huh. They probably did that on purpose, clever film people.

Cinematography was actually pretty effective in this film. They made it so that the film looked visually different depending on whether or not our Eddie was on the drugs (brighter and more defined when he was and washed out and dull when he wasn't). They also did this really impressive bit of camera work that was used a few times throughout the film whereby they merged different street shots of New York together to create this long road... I know, he explained it on Graham Norton a couple of weeks ago and I didn't get it then either. It's one of those things that you just have to see and then say 'Huh, that's pretty impressive. Now I understand.'

The film was overall entertaining but I wasn't overly impressed with it. Then again I wasn't unimpressed. It was an okay way to spend three hours on a Saturday afternoon.

It's worth seeing, and out of everything else that I have seen right now, it is one of the better ones in the cinema at this present time. A nice and even three faces from me.

No comments: