Tuesday 8 March 2011

The Adjustment Bureau



The Synopsis
David Norris (Matt Damon) is running for Senator of New York when he meets Elise Sellas (Emily Blunt) and falls instantly in love with her only to find out that they should never have met.

The Review
Okay. I think I get what they were trying to do with this film, I just don't know if they quite got there. The premise (if done well) is an interesting one and could make a good film. However, this was not done well, it teetered on mediocre all the way through.

You see there were these agents who were meant to act as a type of angel and nudge each person into their right path. Again, this is an interesting idea that could have been entertaining, only the film decided to air on the side of cliche and almost from the opening scene with them I had lost interest. I mean, having four men in business suits with hats pulled down to their eyes standing in a line on the roof of a building whilst staring out and talking to each other in husky voices? Yawn.

The writing was also pretty awful as it just felt like they were trying too hard to be poignant and important. The door premise was interesting I suppose and I really liked the dance routine in the middle but I got bored about two thirds of the way through and to be honest they should have ended it at this point, because the actual ending? Eurgh!!

Before I get into that little nugget (do not worry I will not be spoiling any of the plot) I feel it is in my duty to say that although I was most unimpressed throughout this film, my film buddy Kezia liked it. In fact I think we had the opposite opinion on everything. I hated the agents and their cliche and persistent hats, she loved them. I shrunk further into my seat as the film went on, shuddering at the cheesiness of it, she seemed to sit more on edge. I thought the only good thing about this film was the performance from Matt Damon and particularly Emily Blunt, she thought their characters were the worst things about it. There was one thing though that we both completely agreed on. The ending made the film a lot worse.

For a film to have me pulling my "something just died in here and I can smell it" face as the end credits roll up doesn't happen often but when it does I know that it can't be good. I was teetering on the two faces for the majority of the film but the ending chucked the rating right down to the depths of just one measly face. Sorry Emily Blunt, I'm still a fan and can't wait to see you in something better.

3 comments:

Crazylegs said...

I think I've seen this movie before when it was called Dark City.

Plumsauce10 said...

Oooh, I'm intrigued by that movie!

Wait, is it actually good or am I going to be as disappointed as I was with Adjustment Bureau?

Crazylegs said...

Dark City is a real gem. A genuine classic of the cultish variety. You need to see it!