Saturday 27 September 2008

Step Brothers


Nancy Huff and Dr Robert Doback are two single parents with a unique problem, they both have 40 something sons still living at home with them. When they meet at a medical conference it was love at first sight and their mutual problem cemented their relationship. They swiftly got married and Nancy's 39 year old son, Brennan Huff (Will Ferrell) and Robert's 40 year old son Dale Doback (John C Reilly)have to learn how to live together and share their parents with others when they're used to being their parents pride and joy.

From the moment I saw Reilly in 'Walk Hard: A Dewey Cox story' I have been dying to see him in a movie with Ferrell. (Talladega Nights does not count as it was such an appauling film) My reasons for this is because his humour is sooo similar to Ferrells and he looks so much like him no matter how much my friends may disagree!! So when I heard that they were both starring in a film where they are playing each others step brothers I actually did a little jig (there were witnesses if you don't believe me) and I gotta say I weren't that disappointed....

This film was every bit I thought it would be, if you're looking for surprise and twists in plot then it goes without saying that this is not the film for you. (Having said that there is a particular scene including Ferrells particulars that I could have gone without seeing) It's storyline is every bit as predictable as you think it's gonna be but the way it takes you there is a delight.

Reilly and Ferrell's comic performances showed them both on top of their game. What with both of them taking on the characteristics of 10 year olds you can see the comedy scenarios that are laid out for us.

When initially I saw this film I did see it as a classic example of my kind of one hit wonder. (for what I mean by that see definition mentioned here) However on the journey home from this film with one of my trusty film pals I found myself quoting the film and laughing. The more I quoted the more I wanted to see it again and I gotta say, I am leaning towards buying the DVD.

I think overall, its not groundbreaking, its not something you leave thinking about for weeks after but then again its not meant to be. It's fun and if you are a fan of Ferrell and Reilly then it is definately a film your gonna love. I would recommend it, you won't be disappointed, as long as you know that the sole purpose of watching is for fun. I've waited for them both to do a decent film and I'm happy with the result!!


No comments: