Saturday 13 September 2008

Duchess


Georgiana (Kiera Knightly) the daughter of Lady Spencer is sent off to marry the Duke of Devonshire (Ralph Fiennes)and produce him a male air. Unfortunately when years has passed and she has only been able to produce daughters the Duke's patience is run thin and Georgiana is forced to deal with a great many struggles for her love for her people.

This story is one of those stories that I venture out to see almost certain I know what to expect before I get there. I wasn't surprised though maybe a little impressed with the way they have told this story.

Yes, the story is compelling, the acting is amazing, (Ralph I tip my hat to you) and as a story on it's own I have found no fault in it. In fact I recommend this one to any of you women out there who like a good weeper/love story, I would even dare to say to you men that this isn't even a bad one to watch with the ladies.

My main problem that for me ruined the whole experience was that Kiera Knightly has well and truly stuck herself in the period drama section for the rest of her career!! If I have to see her in one more huge dress I swear I'm gonna scream!!

Now don't get me wrong, I am as much a Knightly fan as the next person. I belong to the group where I do think she's pretty, (albeit sporting a constant pout) and I think she can act. I will always be the first in line to see a film she's in (I think the fact that I sat through the whole of 'Silk' proves my dedication) but was I can't stand is that if I do wanna see her it has to be period films!!

Come on Knightly, prove your eclectic enough to live in this century!!

The thing is she does them well, so I guess there's the danger of thinking 'well what's the point?' If only she gave a bad performance in one of these then she may move on. Either that or she's keeping going till she has gained an oscar from it, either way bring it on we want to see something new!!

I appreciate not much was said about the film, this is due to the fact that if you want a review go to any other Knightly review, it was a good film and she knows it was.

I laughed
I swooned
I cried
That should sell it enough

No comments: