Friday 11 April 2008

Drillbit Taylor

Wade, Ryan and Jim are three boys who are starting High School for the first time, however within the first day they find themselves the victims of the schools two worst bullies and realise that in order to survive the rest of school they're going to need to employ a bodyguard to protect them from being beaten up. That's where Drillbit Taylor (Owen Wilson) comes in, he's a homeless army deserter who would do anything for an extra buck and sees an advantage to hanging around with these three naive rich kids posing as a professional bodyguard.

Meh, it was ok I guess, there were plenty enough moments that made me laugh and Wilson is his usual self showing nothing more than his usual jokes. Beginning to think that this is all we're going to see him doing and any thoughts I had that he may do something a little bit more challenging and serious like some of the other comic actors (Jim Carey, Will Ferrel) were thrown away when he completely failed to convincingly act any serious emotions in this film.

It is what I like to call my own kind of 'one hit wonder' which is the type of comic film that makes me laugh the first time but I know I will never watch again without getting incredibly bored. It was also waaaay too long, (I checked my watch a good five or six times) and they seemed to drag the storyline (which is the kind that you know how it's going to end in the first 3 seconds) out for a good half hour longer than they should fitting in a lot of pointless scenes that we really could have done without. And as for the love interest, where do I start?? Unbelievable (even for this 'never would happen' storyline) that just shows a female teacher, Lisa (Leslie Mann) who's clearly pent up for sex and adds an extra story line to the film that's not exactly needed.

All in all, if you wanna watch something mundane yet still worthy of a few giggles then go see this but don't expect much, you'll be disappointed if you do.

No comments: