Saturday 5 April 2008

Meet the Spartans


When hearing they were doing a spoof of 300 I was dubious about there being actual humour involved. The trailer didn't exactly send shivers down my spine and all reviews I had read (namely Empire magazine) had panned it royally. So when I went, I was not expecting much at all, in fact I was there ready to laugh at the badness of it.

So you can imagine my delight at being pleasantly surprised, now I would like to add that this is not a particularly amazing film, it is also not hilariously funny, but it does have some good moments. With Carmen Electra as per usual playing the slutty female role and then some may remember Eastenders Sean Maguire playing our male lead, who by the way was pretty funny and managed to down play his character so that he kept it from being too over the top humour that spoofs tend to go for.

There were also some performances from what I was told from my internet obsessed friend Dave, sitting next to me were famous youtube stars that were well known for their impressions, one in particular a woman called Lisa someone or other. Having wrote the above however, I went to find this woman and only found Nicole Parker from madTV who played them, so they are either the same person with different alias's (I do remember something being said about that) or Dave's lying to me, I guess people can find that one out for me.

Anywho, I don't wanna fool anyone into thinking this is a laugh out loud funny film, it isn't though it is enjoyable and easily watched. One comment I heard about it probably sums it up best. It's like a really long Youtube video, it's not particularly amusing but your drawn to watch it to the end anyway. Though some jokes are used for too long (dance off and pushing into the pit) the majority is easy going, and if you're a partiulcarly large internet geek like the two guys I went to see this with then there are lots of little gems for you to enjoy while watching that you're neighbour probably won't get which of course adds the smug factor into watching which is always a good one to have.

So all in all, if you're bored and want something light to watch without much hassle then go and see it, if you actually wanna watch something decent and brain stimulating then proabably give this one a miss!! Your call.

4 comments:

Graham said...

http://www.youtube.com/user/LisaNova?ob=1

Mitchenstein said...

It was Sean Maguire :D

Mitchenstein said...

I shouldn't really have known that, but I'm a bit of a soap fan... (And I remember when he had his like Top 150 Chart 'Hit')

Plumsauce10 said...

woops, will change!!