Monday 7 April 2008

My Girl

DVD you should watch!!

A film based in the 70's and filmed in 1991 shows Veda Sultinfuss (Anna Chlumsky) as a young girl who is dealing with life living in a funeral parlour. With her mother having died giving birth to her she has grown up with only her father, (Dan Aykroyd) her senile grandmother and her best friend Thomas J (Macaulay Culkin) for company. Throughout the film we see her dealing with a new woman in her fathers life (Jamie Lee Curtis) and her desperate cries of attention for her father to listen to her.

This film is amazing, the one movie I cannot understand why no one seems to have seen when it was so ground breaking to me. I fell in love with Veda's hypochondriac ways and struggle with the 'stepmum' dilemma. This showed Chlumsky in her debut role that looked like she'd been doing it all her life and Culkin in a role a little more challenging than 'Oh my gosh, I'm home alone!!'

The synopsis makes it sound like some sweet little drama that doesn't look like it can amount to much but with atonishing performances from actors all round and a witty narrative that draws you in from scene one, it is definately a must have DVD. I've not yet met a person that didn't watch this film and love it. It's got no huge plot twists and zero special effects (which the latter I am glad about coz quite frankly it wouldn't exactly go with the theme of the film) but it is incredibly addictive and guaranteed, male or female, to make you laugh, cry and get angry with the characters involved.

A film that affected my childhood greatly and will always be a classic in the rest of my adult life I have to give this DVD my first astonishing 5 faces.



No comments: