Monday 21 February 2011

Paul



The Synopsis
Graeme Willy *tee hee* (Simon Pegg) and Clive Gollings (Nick Frost) are two British guys who go to America for Comic Con and expand their holiday by taking a road trip and visiting all the great Sci Fi hotspots it has to offer. Their journey is thrown completely out of whack however when they end up hiding a real life alien fugitive, Paul (Seth Rogen)from the American government and agree to help him try to get home.

The Review
Aaah, me likey me likey. I mean I went in thinking that I was going to love it because it has my fav comedy duo in Nick and Simon but of course that worried me as I feared it wouldn't live up to my expectations but you know what? It was fandabidosy.

The whole thing just reeked of geek love but being a budding geek myself I felt at home watching it. It was basically a love story to all things sci fi and it was done by two men who obviously know their stuff. Now as far as I stand with the science fiction world I would have to say I'm around just below average but the sci fi things that I do watch have been known to take over my whole life, (namely Doctor Who... I could soak in those stories all day).

What I love about Paul is the same thing that Nick Frost and Simon Pegg always seem to do in the films they do together and that is they underline all their characters with aspects of themselves. Like I could easily believe that they have probably done the tour of America's best alien land marks plenty of times before they filmed this film. In fact I like to believe that when Nick and Simon retire they might migrate together to Roswell, buy a little two bedroom space shuttle shaped house and live out the last of their years whistling the theme tune from Close Encounters into the night sky whilst secretly hoping to hear the whisper of alien life speaking back...

Hmmmm, a couple of minutes has passed since writing the above as I have just closed my eyes and imagined how perfect the world would be if that would happen.

For anyone who is a little obsessed in the world of science fiction then there are millions of little tid bits littered throughout the film for you to go 'Oh my days! I saw that on Star Trek/Spielberg films/etc etc' I would like to think that I caught about 80% of them but I'm sure if I were to see it with a hard core sci geek I would probably hang my head in shame with the amount I really missed. So with that said, if you are not a sci fi geek at all but simply a fan of the comedy duo then it does not depend on you to get all the references in order to enjoy the film, it stands on it's own as a highly funny film without a need for research first.

The alien Paul in the film is rude and very funny and somehow comes across as very loveable. Seth Rogen's voice definitely suits animation, it's very soothing to listen to and his timing is awesome. There are a few moments in the one on one conversations between him and the other characters where it seems to get emotional and automatically each time I could feel myself getting nervous as I was sure it was going to enter into cheesy town but I have to say, not once did that happen. Instead at the end of these conversations I found myself inwardly applauding the writing of this. Thinking about it, this is quite obviously a film of love from two people who know this genre very well, it couldn't have been written any other way than just perfect for the genre it was in.

Go and see it, love it and tell your friends. Well done Nick and Simon, next one to look forward to is the Cornetto Trilogy finale! An almighty five faces from me as it appealed to my geekdom so well.

No comments: