Friday 25 February 2011

I am number four



The Synopsis
John Smith (Alex Pettyfer) is part of the chosen nine from his almost extinct race. They were all sent to Earth when their planet was destroyed and since then he has been on the constant run from the 'Mog' who want to finish the job and kill the remainder of them. They kill in order. Three of the chosen nine have been killed. John is number four. Desperate to hide he blends in in a small town called Paradise and starts school. There he meets Sarah (Dianna Agron) and struggles with staying invisible and seeing her.

The Review
To quote Elphaba from Wicked 'Something has changed within me' when it comes to Science Fiction. I'm a heartbeat away from hanging out in comic book stores and attending sci fi conventions. I fear I may have caught the bug.

I liked this film. It's based on a novel but I haven't really heard of it so the storyline and characters of the film were all brand new to me.... of course I mean in the sense that I'd heard of Clark Kent but not of John Smith. The concept behind the characters follow the exact same line as every other super hero/alien/chosen one story line that governs the classic action sci fi movie.

I was incredibly confused at just how old our John Smith was meant to be as with his original hair colour at the beginning of the film he seemed in early twenties and then with highlights he became about 17 and was suddenly going to school (I have just imdb'd his ass and apparently the actor is 20). Number 6, a fellow alien added to my confusion as soon as she started to talk as her accent ranged over about sixteen different countries in the space of a couple of sentences (incidentally if anyone who's seen it recognises this accent please let me know as I am at a loss). All of this confusion was known to at times remove me from the movie and force me to follow my own thought pattern as I tried to answer my own questions instead of actually watching the film. But that's the great thing about a film like 'I am number four,' it doesn't really require that much thinking.

I most enjoyed the fact that it was a group film as well. So many points in it made you want to comment and make jokes etc with the person you were with. And because we had turned up late to the cinema we were forced to sit in the very first row which meant our comments wouldn't cause those in front of us to get annoyed so 'yeay to the whole experience.' Can I just say now that myself, K and P who watched this film together tonight all seemed under the delusion that we had automatically turned into the biggest comedians ever with the comments we made. However I fear if I were to try and repeat them now it would be one of those 'you had to be there' moments.

I'd like to say that although we were laughing and joking throughout this film we certainly weren't making fun of it, it was just a film you didn't have to take too seriously. It was fun and strangely left me wanting more. It had an air to it that made me think they would have been better off turning it into a TV series as there were so many places you could take it that could last them for a good several seasons.

I'm not going to marvel at the amazing acting skills or the skillful camera shots coz I barely even noticed either. It was there to serve it's purpose of entertaining and it did. I will say this though, the 'Ghost hay ride' our two main lovebirds go on halfway through the film scared the crap out of me and I'm pretty sure that if I ever had to experience something like that at a fair I'd pretty much cack myself.

On that image I bid you adieu with a happy three faces from me.

No comments: