Wednesday 4 May 2011

Water for Elephants



The Synopsis
Just as Jacob (Robert Pattinson)is about to take his exam to make him a registered Veterinarian he is told that both his parents have died in a car accident. Distraught and without a place to call home he leaves town and jumps on a circus train. The Ringmaster of the circus, August (Christoph Waltz) takes a liking to him and hires him as the Circus's vet. It is here that he meets August's wife, the beautiful Marlena (Reece Witherspoon) and learns the trials and joy that is life in the 1930's circus.

The Review
Four months ago I saw this trailer for a film called Water for Elephants and was immediately taken aback by the imagery. Two days later I bought the book and had finished it before the week was out. The book simply blew me away.

Since then I have been waiting rather impatiently for this film and finally tonight I got to watch it. Let me tell you now, if you're wondering over the next month what film you'd like to see... choose this one.

Let's get the obvious bit out of the way first. It almost doesn't need to be said because any hardcore RPatz fans will probably be set on seeing this anyway, but for all you who love him, you will not be disappointed. It is definitely something to help take the edge off the long wait till November for Breaking Dawn.

But I want to say this to those who aren't fans of his. This is not just a film for people to swoon over Robert Pattinson. Please do not be disheartened from seeing it for that reason. Yes, he's in it and yes, when he first came onto the screen there was an excited gasp from a large population of the female viewers in the cinema, but this film is so much more than that. It's beautiful and magical and shows both the glamourous and not so glamourous life of the 1930's Circus.

Reece Witherspoon and Christoph Waltz are both amazing in this film. Christoph Waltz played August so well, they couldn't have cast anyone better.

For those who are going in to see it having read the book. Never fear people, they are very true to the book! The only large change they have made is by making August the Ringmaster and getting rid of the book's Ringmaster (Uncle Al) altogether. I've got to admit though, for the film it made sense. There were some slight differences in the storyline nearer the end due to this change but they find their way back again and keep all the best parts from the book in the film.

It's very well done and captures the heart of the story beautifully. Please people, see this film, it's one to watch! Not to mention the Elephant (Rosie) in it is adorable.

Now I said previously in my review for Never let me go that I would be a lot more stingy with my five faces and only reward films with that marking if it touched me as much as that film had. This isn't on the same level but at the same time, the idea of giving it any less doesn't seem right. So for completely gorgeous reasons that made me smile inside and out I'm going to dust off my five faces and give it to this film. It's not perfect but then again, I don't think I'll ever find a film as amazing as Never let me go was so it would be unfair to tarnish this film for that reason alone.

No comments: