Sunday 1 May 2011

Thor


The Synopsis
Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is set to be the next in line to the throne of Asgard. However, his head strong attitude and his selfish nature land him in danger. He needs to find the true attitude of a king before he can ever continue. His journey takes him to Earth and into the life of Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), but will he ever find what it takes to truly be a king?

The Review
Okay, I'm going to be honest. I went to see this film for two reasons: 1. It had Natalie Portman in it and 2. I was outvoted in terms of what my other friends wanted to see.

I wasn't exactly excited at the prospect of seeing this one as I'd seen one too many bad Marvel movies in the past but I've got to say, this one was pretty awesome!

It was very well written with some comedy gems in there that had the whole cinema laughing and although there was a lot of content to cover in the movie, it kept a fast pace and in turn kept me entertained.

What impressed me the most however, was the imagery. Moments like the transition from Earth to Asgard were amazing and the whole of how Asgard was set out simply rocked. I loved the attention that had gone into the detail of this world. Every part of this moving and magical city had been meticulously planned out and it showed. I actually left the cinema hoping and praying that such a place existed so that I could go there and sit on their golden furniture and where really uncomfortable metal clothing that probably chafed like a bitch when you walked.

It was inviting, the whole film just sucked you in and you had to be a part of it. I loved it.

And yes, Natalie Portman was once again in another film. That woman literally has not stopped working for what seems like a millennium to get all the films that she's done in. She was, of course, amazing as was Chris Hemsworth who managed to jump from serious to comical and then back again in the space of one scene and with such ease I had to tip my metaphorical hat at him.

All in all, a very good Marvel film and one I will most definitely be going to see the sequel of. Four happy faces from me.

No comments: