Friday 20 May 2011

Attack the Block



The Synopsis
It's an alien invasion in a place we have yet to see, in a South London block of flats. The aliens have met their match with a bunch of teenage kids from London who will protect their block, no matter what it takes.

The review
Oh my days. Dude, you simply HAVE to see this movie. I know that a film has got me hooked when the next day it is all I can think about.

I saw the trailer for this film a while ago and thought immediately that I have to see this film. I didn't really know how I would take it though. But then the film came out and with it the reviews were outstanding. This peaked my interest as I couldn't see how such a bizarre and low-funded film could make that much of an impact, but then I saw it and now I know. It was immense.

Being a girl that lives in London, I immediately related to the characters. I am definitely not streetwise enough to ever pull off being anything like them but you can't go anywhere around this area without bumping into someone just like them. There's not many alien films where I can genuinely say, that was actually really realistic!! I'm not kidding, if aliens were to attack South London, that would totally be how it would pan out.

The film was fresh, new and simply awesome. The writing was perfect for it's setting and the main gang of kids totally stole the show.

One thing I wondered about prior to seeing the film was whether it would be nearly as good to anyone who doesn't live in London. After seeing it though, I really don't think it matters. The film was so well put together that an outsider might very well think it a little strange but by the end would be so wrapped up in it, it wouldn't matter.

All the main actors in the groups of boys were awesome but I need to take a moment to marvel at the genius that was one of them. His name is Alex Esmail and he played the character 'Pest.' I absolutely loved him. Almost everything that came out of his mouth was freakin hilarious and if he isn't immediately snapped up for another film then there is something seriously wrong with this world.

It was pure alien invasion science fiction classic with a new twist that was refreshing and very enjoyable. But overall, on top of absolutely everything else, it was FUNNY. Really really funny.

I really don't know what else to say except Nick Frost was his normal awesome self throughout and the Writer and Director Joe Cornish is officially my favourite person this month.

GO AND SEE IT AND THEN TELL YOUR FRIENDS TO DO THE SAME. I've officially roped everyone I came into contact with at work today to make it their priority, now I'm doing the same to you.

That is all. No review can do it justice, it needs to be experienced to fully understand. I'm already making plans to see it again.

An unsurprising 5 faces from me.

2 comments:

Crazylegs said...

I am totally psyched to see this film! It's been getting good buzz here in North Americaland. Sadly, there were concerns that audiences over here might have trouble understanding some of the dialogue (accents, slang, etc.), so ATB is not in wide distribution yet. But there have been test screenings in some cities and my understanding is that they audiences loved it. Here's to hoping the rest of us get to see this soon!

Plumsauce10 said...

There are a lot of slang words in there but I reckon it's understandable enough to get the overall idea. If you find any confusion, let me know which words most perplex and I shall provide a slang dictionary with all my ghetto wisdom...